Position: Assistant Quality Manager
Location: Marlborough, MA
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports to: Assembly Quality Manager
Date Written/Last Revised: 10/26/2020
Established in 1957, Adcole Space has been at the forefront of space exploration since its beginning, providing satellite components that are integral to the mission success of hundreds of low-earth orbit (LEO), geosynchronous (GEO) and interplanetary spacecraft. By combining new space technologies with a proven heritage in space flight, Adcole Space is uniquely qualified to meet the complexity and demands of today’s growing and evolving space industry. Core capabilities include the design and manufacture of mission-critical, high reliability optical sensors for satellites providing guidance, navigation, situational awareness, and control capabilities. Key products include sun sensors, star trackers, and star cameras. AMA has been an essential part of many space missions including voyages to Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Pluto, and its customers include NASA as well as other government agencies and leading private companies in aerospace and defense.
Adcole Space has been recognized for our commitment to quality and test, earning Supplier of the Year awards from NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Lockheed Martin, Mitsubishi Electric, Northrop Grumman, and many other aerospace industry leaders. The company has class 10000 and 100000 clean rooms for sensitive assemblies and state of the art optical test facilities. We have a highly talented and dedicated group of engineers that develop innovative products for our customers and our team is unique in that the majority of our employees have been with the company over 15yrs. Those long tenures reflect the collegial environment at Adcole Space which has led many to work with the company their entire careers.
Upon hire all employees receive a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, 401K program and PTO/sick time.
Adcole Space is seeking an Assistant Quality Manager within the Space Components Group. The position will support all aspects of the Adcole Space Quality Management System (QMS). In this position you will be partnered with Process Engineering and supporting organizations in order to drive the health and compliance of the products. While reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager you will work closely with Senior Management, Program Management, Operations, Engineering and Finance in assuring compliance to business process as well as contractual requirements. A thorough understanding of AS9100 quality management and project management is required and integral to driving continuous improvement; value added solutions, achieving near term solutions, as well as being predictive in identifying early warning prior to situations degrading.
The following list of essential job functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
The successful candidate:
- Enjoys working with and coaching quality personnel as well as those across functions to continuously improve execution success.
- Responsible for technical support on any component, assembly or subassembly issue that rises at assembly, inspection or test which requires QA Engineering interpretation and resolution based on acceptance or rejection criteria.
- Needs to be a hands-on leader willing to take responsibility for resolving technical challenges and ensuring successful tactical execution.
- Knowledge of workmanship standards, IPC J-STD-001, NASA STD 8739.1. and NASA STD 8739.4. for space flight hardware.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining program quality plans and procedures.
- Responsible for establishing a facility quality presence.
- Ensures that performance and quality products conform to established company and regulatory standards.
- Reviews, analyzes and reports on quality discrepancies and data related to production. MRB experience preferred.
- Investigates problems and develops disposition and corrective actions for recurring discrepancies.
- Perform inspections of flight hardware to ensure conformance with applicable technical and workmanship requirements.
- Interfaces with customer representatives to ensure requirements are met.
- Prepare end item data packages for shipment to customers.
- Recommends corrective actions, process optimization and modifications.
- Serve as a resource for all Adcole Space staff in implementing the QMS, helping individuals to understand the processes, find the resources they need, and tailor the processes to the particular needs of their work as appropriate.
- Manage and maintain Adcole Space Quality documents, training materials and records.
- Responsible for planning, organizing and reporting on all supplier quality-related activities to assure fulfillment of contract/purchase order requirements.
- Assist in preparing reports, metrics and other documents in support of a yearly Management Review.
Preferred Skills and Education:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a technical area and 8+ years of related experience.
- Strong leadership, organization and communication skills.
- Individual will need to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization and business.
- AS9100 Lead Auditor certification or the ability to become certified.
- Experience with the life-cycle processes associated with the development of space flight hardware and software.Knowledge of workmanship standards, IPC J-STD-001, NASA STD 8739.1.
Interested applicants should email their resume to Careers@adcole.com.